Google’s Android Oreo launch is full of clean taste for your cell phone, but many of its maximum beneficial options are out of sight and without difficulty not noted. Whether you’ve had Oreo for months or are just now getting a flavor — like proprietors of Samsung’s Galaxy S8, whose Android 8.0 rollout is at long closing kicking off as we speak — now could be a great time to learn something new approximately what your device’s software program can do. (And if you’re many of the many nevertheless ready and hoping your cell phone’s manufacturer receives its act together soon, hey, you can continually keep this web page for future reference.)
So pour yourself a tall glass of milk and put it together to dunk into most productiveness: Here are 18 advanced pointers and tricks for Android eight. Zero and eight.1, Oreo. (Note that those suggestions are written in particular as they follow Google’s core Android Oreo software. Many device producers modify the operating device to position their personal spin on the capabilities and interface, bringing about some factors looking exceptional or maybe be absolutely absent on positive devices.)
[ Further reading: Android versions: A living history from 1.0 to today ]
1. Oreo introduces a brand new smaller layout for decrease-priority notifications — commonly reserved for the varieties of proactively informative signals but don’t require instant interest. Such notifications display up in a collapsed-down form whilst different notifications are present and then make bigger best while you faucet them. You’d by no means are aware of it without digging. However, you may certainly manage which notifications use this layout. Go into the Apps & Notifications segment of your gadget settings, then select any app and faucet “App notifications.” If the app has the right Oreo-degree notification guide (Google Photos is a superb instance), you’ll be able to pick unique categories of notifications for the app and then trade their significance level. Setting any class’s stage to “low” will position all related indicators in the low-precedence format, with collapsed-down notifications and no accompanying sounds or pop-ups.
2. Those unique classes of notifications you spot for apps with Oreo-degree support? They’re a part of a new Android 8.X function referred to as Notification Channels. Rather than only having the ability to show all of an app’s notifications on or off, Oreo helps you to get granular and create preferences for unique styles of indicators within an app.
Google Maps is a wonderful region to look at just how powerful this opportunity may be. Find it in the Apps & Notifications phase of your system settings, then choose it and tap “App notifications.” You’ll be provided with a sprawling listing of varieties of notifications Maps may generate — everything from commute-associated journey instances to driving notifications and nearby enterprise info. You can tap on any of these categories to disable its alerts or alternate its conduct without affecting any of Maps’ other notifications.
3. Oreo includes new continual notifications to let you understand whilst an app potentially uses up your cellphone’s battery within the historical past. That may be useful, in concept — however, it is able to also get stressful after some time, especially if such signals are continually appearing (and in case you’re well privy to the motive why).
As of Android 8.1, though, it is clear to send the one’s indicators packing: Head returned into the Apps & Notifications phase of your system settings and tapped the line to look at all of your apps. Next, faucet the overflow menu icon in the higher right nook of the display and pick “Show gadget.” Now select “Android System” from the listing, then faucet “App notifications,” and look for the line classified “Apps consuming battery.” All it really is left is to turn its toggle off.
4. Got a notification you don’t want to address immediately — however, additionally do not want to forget? Use Oreo’s extraordinary-reachable (but also extraordinary-hidden!) sleeping feature: Slide a notification barely to the left or proper, then faucet the clock icon that looks along with its side. That’ll allow you to send it away for 15 mins, 30 minutes, one hour, or hours after which have it reappear as new whilst the time is proper.
5. Another new Oreo function is the system-level potential for launchers to display dots on an app’s home display screen icon every time that app has a notification pending — yes, much like the notification badges on iOS. Unlike iOS, though, Android already has a remarkable machine for viewing and coping with notifications, that could make this addition feel as a substitute redundant and distracting.
But wait! Here’s a touching secret: You can disable the dots — if you know where to appear. Mosey on back to the Apps & Notifications segment of your system settings, then tap the road labeled “Notifications” and flip off the toggle next to “Allow notification dots.” You can also prefer to disable the dots on an app-by means of-app foundation, in case you’d opt for it, by way of tapping individual apps inside the Apps & Notifications menu, after which selecting “App notifications” and looking for the “Allow notification dot” toggle.
6. Oreo’s photograph-in-photo mode is even greater use than it seems. Sure, the characteristic can let you view motion pictures in a floating container whilst doing different things to your smartphone — however it additionally works with non-video-related apps like Google Maps for navigation.
Android Oreo suggestions – image in photo maps JR Raphael
Picture-in-picture mode can help you hold an eye on navigation while also acting on other responsibilities. To launch photograph-in-photo mode, first open a supported app and start the perfect procedure — video-gambling, navigation, or regardless of the case can be. Then press your cellphone’s Home or Overview key, and the app has to mechanically shrink down right into a floating box over your own home display screen or recent apps list. You can drag it around the screen, tap it to reveal controls, or fling it toward the bottom of your display screen to push aside it.